Thursday, August 27, 2009

The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the revealed things belong to us and our children forever, so that we may follow all the words of this message. Deuteronomy 29:29


Greetings, Friends...

Have you ever attended a Bible study that emphasized how you "feel" about a Bible passage or what you "think" it means?

According to Roger C. Palms, former editor of Decision magazine, our experienced-based culture focuses on "what I think" and "what I feel".

As we seek to leave a spiritual heritage for our families, it's important that we realize that the basis for reading and studying God's Word is NOT how we feel or what we think about it.

Jesus promised that when the Spirit of Truth comes He will guide us into all truth (John 16:13). At different times during our journey as parents, we need new insights into how to handle various situations. When we allow Him, God reveals His message for us at the time we need it.

Years ago, I studied the New Testament book of James as part of an in-depth women's study. A few years later, I had the opportunity to study James again. I thought, "I've already studied this. I know what it says." Boy, I was wrong!

When I read the book again, I found COMPLETELY NEW information there. It was there all along, but when I needed those truths, God highlighted them for me. He brought them to my attention.

I said all this to emphasize that we need to see what God's Word SAYS before we seek to know how we feel about it or what we think it means.

After praying for God to reveal His truth for your situation, observe what His Word says. Ask Who, What, When, Where, Why and How. Sometimes I write the word, "Why?" in my Bible to draw my attention to why God does something.

On a notepad or tablet, I sometimes make a simple list of what the passage says. It helps me focus and organize my thoughts based on what the Word says.

At other times, I may write a list of my responsiblities and another list of what God does as a result of my following His Word.

Occasionally, I write a list of truths I learn about God's Word or what God says about a key word like joy or love.

Doing this helps me concentrate as I seek to learn what God wants me to know that day. On another day, I may write two or three verses that seem to apply to my circumstances and then I take them apart (asking the 5W's and 1 H)to see what God really means.

I write the words from the Bible instead of putting them into my own words. Remember the Holy Spirit was sent to remind us of what the Lord did and said and not remind us of our words (John 14:26).

You may consider reading the Psalm for that date. Using today's date, I read Psalm 28(or Psalm 128) after I pray for God to show me His message for my situation.

King David prayed, "Lord, I call to You; my Rock, do not be deaf to me. If You remain silent to me, I will be like those going down to the Pit. Listen to the sound of my pleading when I cry to You for help...May the LORD be praised, for He has heard the sound of my pleading. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and I am helped. Therefore my heart rejoices, and I praise Him with my song." Psalm 28:1-2,6-7 HCSB

What part of David's prayer can you identify with today? Write God's message.

For example, ask, "What happens when I trust in God with my heart?"

My answer: Like David, I am helped.

How did David start this passage? By calling to God. Have you called to God today?

Do you praise God that He hears your pleading?

Does your heart rejoice that God is your strength and your shield?

Do you praise Him with your song?

In closing, I pray for you as a parent. May you seek to know and follow the Lord's instructions for guiding your family. May God pour out His richest blessings into your life and the lives of your loved ones today.

Praising God and praying for you,
Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment